All industrial roof systems require regular inspection and periodic maintenance by commercial building owners and managers to achieve a long-term service life. Here are some tips that will help you out:
- Maintain diligent records for everything surrounding the structure's roofing system. Documentation should include all roofing contractor job records, drawings and specifications for future reference. Log all roof access times and other trades working on the roof, in case damage should occur. Report damage as soon as it occurs, so repairs may be scheduled and executed as soon as possible.
- Inspect your roof at least twice a year — in the spring and fall.
- Inspect all roofs after severe weather or storms.
- Make frequent inspections on buildings that house manufacturing facilities that evacuate exhaust debris on to the roof.
- Clean roof drains of debris and remove leaves, twigs, cans, children’s balls, etc., which could plug roof drains.
- Do not allow foot traffic on the roof in very cold or very hot weather; damage can result. One of the keys to avoiding roof damage is limiting access to the roof. Allow only authorized personnel on the roof who understand good roof access procedures and precautions.
- Do not allow the installation of television or radio antennas, satellite dishes or other mechanical equipment without consulting with a roofing contractor and membrane manufacturer (if the roof is under a manufacturer’s warranty), regarding the details for these installations.
Short on time? Let the roofing professionals at Madsen Roofing and Waterproofing, Inc. perform inspections or routine maintenance for you.